Tuesday, March 20, 2012
at
3:20 PM
|
St. Patty's day was never a huge deal in my family growing up, but for some reason now that I am older and have a family of my own...I seem to be pulling out all the stops. Really, other than green pancakes for breakfast and corn beef for dinner, I don't remember doing much else as a kid for St Pattys...well I guess I also wore green and maybe I searched outside far and wide for four leaf clovers for a good part of the day. It's just fun to have a reason to celebrate something or make a day more exciting than others. Plus, with Toby working all day on Saturdays, I needed something new to do for entertainment for the kids. :) We started our day off with Lucky Charms for breakfast and a green smoothie. I love the fact that I can hide spinach in smoothies and the boys don't even know it! Boedy talked with dad the night before about setting a trap for the leprauchan, so we made one after breakfast. It was just the simple cardboard box propped up with a stick and a piece of fool's gold underneath. We put it on Boedy's balcony patio and while we waited, Boedy and Gavin made a huge fort out of blankets and chairs and ate more lucky charms. By the way, it was POURING rain all day, so indoor fort building was a great idea. A little while later, I went upstairs and yelled for Boedy and Gavin to come quick! The leprechaun had been caught, and escaped, and left gold treasures. Boedy ran up stairs and Gavin followed of course. Boedy lifted the trap up and found a pot of gold. I pointed out that there was a trail starting at the trap and leading to somewhere else. We followed the trail of chocolate gold coins to my room and they led to an open door to my balcony patio. Boedy concluded that the leprechaun had escaped from the trap in a hurry and escaped off my balcony, accidently dropping his gold along the way. My plan exactly :) After that excitement died down, we got all geared up to go in the rain and drove to Bruegger's Bagles to eat Green Bagles for lunch. The boys were in heaven. Then we came home and made a green fruit plate with green jello in preparation for the St. Patty's feast at my parent's house. The feast was great, except there could've been more corn beef! My parents decided to do an irish stew instead and just a little corn beef. The stew was great though, and we also had irish soda bread, the green fruit plate, and then for dessert we had green homemade ice cream sandwhiches. Yum! We had lots of fun irish music and played a fun irish game that my mom had previously taught in her music program to the kids at school. Boedy found more hidden gold and we enjoyed admiring my dad in his leprechaun costume (he has clothes for all occasions). So, here's the pics and one video of Gavin dancing to the irish music while he devours his ice cream sandwhich.








Posted by
leah
1 comments:
you're so fun to do stuff like this. i'm the worst mom ever when it comes to being fun and creative with holidays. your boys will remember this and love it!
Post a Comment