Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM |  
My community has an annual art show every July at the Community Center during Renton River Days. Since we have lived here, I always look forward to it because it makes me feel how I used to feel back in my Art Education days at BYU. I love to learn about art and get energized creatively from seeing what other artists are creating. It inspires me and motivates me to get back into doing my own art. I feel like I can hardly call myself an artist now. The last time I picked up a paint brush was before Boedy was born. I think about painting all the time, but my "To Do" list seems to always come first ( and never ends). So, after enjoying this little art show, I felt inspired again and this time I decided to do something about it. I asked the people in charge what I would have to do to enter it for next year. They handed me a piece of paper and said "Here's a sign-up sheet. Leave your name and number and we'll contact you." Wow, that easy? I've always had a dream about displaying some of my artwork in public, but I thought it was more complicated than that. I once had an artwork published in Toby's Penn State Law School student Journal...but I never felt that counted because it was a LAW student journal...not an art student journal. Wow, and all I had to do to display my art side by side other artists was to sign up? I have to admit though, after I signed up I felt a little nervous when they said "We look forward to seeing your art." I suddenly realized that I had commited myself to do this! No turning back. The same feeling I felt when I signed up for my first marathon- excitement and nervousness, wondering if I could really accomplish the great task ahead. Really, with the little time I have for myself these days, my skills are quite rusty. And I wouldn't call my art that amazing. I'm still searching for "my style" or "my mark." I think I am quite an amateur actually. Anyhow, I'm excited for the challenge and something to work towards that will MAKE me make time to do art. And I've got to get the haunting last lecture out of my head from my BYU oil painting teacher. He pleaded with us "future moms" to be careful of letting our artistic talents fall to the wayside and to never lose sight of our artistic potentials and possibilities. Now if I can just come up with an idea... Anyways, these pictures are of some of my favorites from the show. Enjoy!








Posted by leah

2 comments:

Ms. Bananie said...

Wow! That is so awesome! Way to go, artist Leah! I've felt the same as you & am now also going to take your BYU teacher's plea to heart as well. We'll have to keep each other in check!

August 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
jamie said...

good for you, leah! you'll find time, now that you've made a commitment. i'd love to see the final product.

August 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM