Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM |  
This is a SHOUT OUT- or whatever you want to call it. Just two thoughts I've had for a while that I would like to share out loud to all.
First one- Sunday Afternoon Church is a disaster. I've debated this one for quite some time...do I like morning church or afternoon church? Well, it has just taken the past 2 Sundays to confirm (drumroll please) that I CHOOSE MORNING CHURCH! Church at 12:30 is just a bad time- 1st of all, the mornings turn out to be just wasteful. With a toddler keeping you busy and expecting you to entertain him every second, and going outside or running errands is not an option...Sunday mornings drag! I find myself making meaningless tasks last longer because I can't do any meaningful tasks like read scriptures, write in journal, read Ensign, etc...because to a Toddler, Sunday is any other day....and they don't read or write of course. I find myself watching the clock, WAITING for the time to get in the car and go to church. Second of all- 12:30 interfers with naps. I can't put my toddler down before church because he hasn't even been awake that long (I've tried several times...doesn't work). So, we get to church at naptime AND lunchtime and that makes for a VERY long and crazy sacrament (for which I spend most time in the halls). No nap toddler makes for an exhausting time at church for both toddler and parent. Then, it makes for a CRAZY time after church because your toddler is to wired to take a nap when you get home. You somehow manage to keep him up until bedtime, and then you think "Whew! It's over" But then, Monday morning rolls around and your toddler is as cranky as can be because he never had a nap the day before. This makes for a LONG Monday and great start to the week. Lastly, if you have a husband in a calling that recquires a lot of meetings, you basically can count on not seeing him all day on Sunday. Afternoon Church means meetings in the morning and meetings at night..which makes Sunday Dinner non-existent...and again, a very exhausting Sunday for toddler, mom, and dad. Whatever happened to Sunday being a day of rest?!
Ok, my second shout out is about grocery shopping. WHY has NO ONE invented personal shopping carts?! We have invented the idea of bringing your own bags. You know how much easier it would be if I owned a shopping cart? It would fold up and be portable. I could take it to the store and fill it up with groceries, load the groceries into my car, then unload my groceries back into the cart when I got home and stroll on over to my front door in ONE trip. Instead, I take about 10 trips back and forth with toddler in one arm and 3 grocery bags and a gallon of milk in the other....oh and also a blanket, toys, sippy cup and whatever else I had to take to the store to keep my toddler happy. I admit it's a great work out carrying that much back and forth...but when it's pouring down rain, or your toddler is screaming in your ear...it's just not a workout I really feel like doing. Hence the reason why my icecream is usually half melted when I finally get it to the freezer.
Posted by leah

6 comments:

Ms. Bananie said...

A hearty shout back in agreement! Afternoon church makes for a very loooong year 'til you switch back.
Plus, I find it funny that when I was an exhausted mom of a newborn, I couldn't wait until he was a toddler so I wouldn't be so tired.
HA!

March 17, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
leah said...

So true- I guess you just are always tired as a mother, but in different ways as your child continues to get older!

March 17, 2009 at 8:38 PM  
KatieB said...

we have one o'clock church. i feel your pain.

March 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM  
Tenay Jo said...

I agree, afternoon church at 1:00 with a toddler is zero fun. Last year when we had it I hated it with Kallen. He was always so cranky in Nursery because he was tired, and it just was such a hassle. Now that we have morning church, it is a ton better. However, with a newborn and a toddler, 9:00 am church sometimes gets a little difficult too. Its funny how adding one more little person to get ready in the mornings makes it tons harder. However, Leah, like you, I still enjoy morning church instead of afternoon. Then again, wouldn't 10:00 church be the perfect time? Time enough to get them all ready, and enough time for them to get home and have a decent nap. Yep, I choose 10:00...too bad none of our ward's have that time. :(

March 23, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Amen...to both!

March 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
jamie said...

i feel you on both of these things...but i'm impressed that you take boedy with you back and forth from the car to your apartment to get all your stuff. i just lock my kids in the house and cross my fingers that nothing gets destroyed while i head back to the car!

March 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM