Wednesday, January 11, 2012
at
3:45 PM
|
This is my Christmas gift that I gave to my dad. Sorry about the weird coloring and bad cropping as this picture was taken on my phone! I don't mean to post this because I want to show off. I want to post this because I am so proud that I actually accomplished a piece of art this year!!!! I've been wanting to do this for my dad for a LONG time, but have never been able to make the time to do it. Father's days, birthdays, and Christmas's have continued to pass, and finally this was the year! I was determined! This is based on a photo of my Pop Pop, my dad's Father James Fisher. My dad and I took this picture of him when we visited him years back in Pensacola Florida. This is him sitting on one of the beautiful beaches near his home. My Pop Pop passed away about 6 years after this photo was taken. I loved this photo because it was so picture perfect of what I loved about my Pop Pop. He was an easy going and fun loving grandpa, always giving hugs kisses, easy to make laugh, and had a song for everything. He also has italian heritage which I LOVE. His Father was italian, so he is 1/2 italian, which makes me about an 8th.... he he. I love this picture because it reminds me of an old italian man- something about the pose and the fact that he is naturally posed holding an apple in his hand. I chose to do this drawing with colored pencil. This is the second attempt. The first one I did on watercolor paper to get a rougher texture, but it wasn't giving the feeling that I wanted. So, I started over on thin drawing paper and it worked ok. I redid his face several times- I was really trying to get a certain feeling from his face. I have more of an impressionistic style I guess- I like to bring out the colors and feelings of things rather than a point blanke picture. I love to blend colors to create moods which is why I love working with colored pencils and oils. My dad opened his present without me being there, so I was bummed I didn't get to see his initial reaction. My older brother was there though, and I was touched to hear that both my mom and dad had tears in their eyes as they studied it. I really didn't think it would have that much of an affect on them, but I'm glad he liked it. I admit that I was a little scared to give it to him and let others see it. I feel so rusty on my drawing skills and I had to relearn a lot as I did this. Plus, I realized as I was doing it that it was quite the undertaking to draw someone so personal to my dad. I'm glad it turned out, and I'm so glad I actually did it and finished it! It gives me confidence that I can make time for my passions and use my skills still- they aren't completely lost yet! I hope to make a goal to accomplish something else artistic this year...maybe even two!
Posted by
leah
6 comments:
What a wonderful gift. That is a great picture--the pose, the ocean, the layout. I'm glad you had such great holidays, too! Miss you, friend!
I love it! That's so awesome! What a neat thing to be able to give your dad - I bet it will be one of his prized possessions!
I'm so impressed! I can't believe you found the time to do that with two boys at home! You finished an art project and a phenomenal one at that. It's stunning Leah! You are an inspiration!
That is amazing! I've never accomplished much with color pencils so I'm really impressed! How special for your family. Maybe I'll have to commission you to do one of our family when we are out of school:)
Awesome! I knew it was Pop even before I read it! Such a wonderful gift!
leah! i'm SO happy for you! you've been talking about this for so long and you were finally able to make it happen. hooray for you! and it's awesome! nice work. yay!
Post a Comment